Thursday, June 24, 2010

4 weeks pregnant, use of cosmetics safe?

I am 4 weeks pregnant and I want to know if most of the cosmetics and skin care products out there are save for expecting mums?





I am using clinic moisturisers (now avoiding the toner as I am not sure if it is save for the developing baby). I also use MAC compact press powders and concealers...I hope these are save.





The only thing I know to avoid is things like Clearasil as this have salic acid or something like that in there.





does anyone know of anything else that I need to avoid?





Thank you!!!4 weeks pregnant, use of cosmetics safe?
with very few exceptions, cosmetics are safe.


Salycilic acid is one of those exception (you already know that), also avoid prescription acne medications.


There are a few skin products out there now with caffeine in them (mostly under eye concealers as the caffeine reduces puffiness), the caffeine can enter your bloodstream this way, BUT you would have to use a ton for it to make any difference.


There is actually a study being conducted at the moment about whether excessive use of lavender containing products (like lotions) can effect estrogen levels in a developing fetus (lavender can increase estrogen production at high concentration, but it's unlikely that everyday use of lotions would have any effect) but if you wanted to be extra crazy super careful, you can avoid that too.





EDIT:


I just wanted to add a little comment about what one answerer said regarding ';it's not what we put on our bodies, but what we put into it that we have to worry about';


While, in regards to cosmetics this is pretty much true, certain things we put on our skin are in fact absorbed into our bloodstreams, which is why even certain very potent medications can be applied topically and have a systemic (whole body) effect. Caffeine is one such example and there are several others.4 weeks pregnant, use of cosmetics safe?
You are correct on the salic acid, but the other big one to avoid is anything has added chemicals or vitamins that promises to 鈥榬educe the signs of aging鈥? These contain high concentrations of Vitamin A which causes birth defects. Also any 'all natural' products that have some herbs in them. The FDA actually warns pregnant moms not to take any herbal products (this includes makeup) without first talking to their doctor or midwife. I would just avoid them in general as why risk it? St. Johns Wart for example has been seen in some tests to cause genetic damage to the baby this especially true the earlier in the pregnancy you are. I hope that this helps and kudos for being so careful! Most are not.
To answer this, I ask you to think of how many pregnant women you've known. How many of them wore make-up and used lotions? The answer, all of them most likely.


Using cosmetics is fine, as long as you aren't eating them. It's not what we do to the outside of our bodies, but what we ladies put into them while carrying the babies that we have to worry about.
There isnt any makeup I have heard of that you cannot use while pregnant except anything with salicylic acid, which is any most acne cleansers. If you are unsure about anything bring it to your doctor and ask them.
im pretty sure all cosmetics are safe... i wear makeup almost every minute of every day and also throughout my entire pregnancy and you bet i was made up during delivery and my baby is healthy haha
over the counter cosmetics are safe to use. if there is medication in them, little to none gets absorbed into your own bloodstream.
The only thing that you are not allowed to use in the first trimester is acne cream or pills. It should be okay to use makeup. Good luck and congrats!
I use all of my beauty regime just the same as I did before I was pregnant. All of my children came out just fine.
all makeup is safe all face washes are safe all of it is safe... congrats

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
albinism